Return to first page.Upper Sidings
Plan of Upper Sidings taken from Tonks' book. Very useful record of the tracks.
Sankey's task at this level was to fetch empties from the kips and take them to the steam excavator by the unfinished bridge for loading.
 At some point in this trip Sankey had to change from a puller to a pusher configuration.
On the way back with full wagons, Sankey needed to switch from a puller to a pusher in order to shunt the loaded wagons to the centre track over the wheel pit.



Upper Sidings not yet overgrown with bushes and weeds.

Bushes and weeds beginning to take a hold. A perfect haven for wildlife.

Photograph taken by David Burge 1955. This shows the track towards the Nadbury Spur.

More weeds and bushes. Photograph taken a few yards back from previous photograph.

View of Upper Sidings. Derelict wagons scattered about. Open fields and countryside.

View of Upper Sidings. Nadbury Iron Age Fort is on the right. The hedge and tree line on the horizon is Camp Lane.The Nadbury spur  was to route from about where the photo was taken over to Camp Lane across the field in front of the hay stack. The field is a lot lower than these tracks. The Nadbury spur route was set out and fenced off, as can by the bushes growing up. The field has been returned to the farmer. 

Newspaper photograph with good view of truck. Nice wheels.
Note exposed rock strata in quarry face.
Taken in Upper Sidings near excavator.


Steam excavator. Remains of narrow gauge trucks. The structure on the left was probably covered with planks to allow the overburden to be removed and taken to the Nadbury Spur. This area must have had standard gauge track to service the excavator.

The excavator had its own 8 ft gauge track to run on.

The only plan showing the wheel pit in detail.
A small wheel guided the cable onto the two larger brake drums. The cable came off the rollers then was fed underground. The braking mechanism also came underground from the brakesman hut into the wheel pit.

The three vertical axles for the wheels are clearly shown.
 The cables probably entered the pit where the square plates are on the furthest wall of the pit.
Photograph by David Burge 1955.

The pit was covered with planks.

A good view of the form of the pit, which looks about 6 ft deep. Brick? Concrete?
A visitor about 1960 remembers the pit being empty. It is now filled in  and covered over with soil.
The walls and floor may still be there, including the bottom bearings, and the bits of the braking apparatus.

Eric Tonks in his book on the EHLR says the cables ran in channels to the wheel pit.
 Is that faint white line to the right of the sleepers one of the channels? Probably.
It may have been a duct as it had to be set into the ground.

The cable can be seen on the left passing over a roller. The cable then dips below the rail and into the ground.
 A bit further on there is a vertical cylinder that guided the cable into the channel/duct.
Another cylinder can be seen on this side of the track just in front of the middle visitor.
The cylinders can just be seen in previous photographs as dark blobs.

Photograph by David Burge dated 1955.
The two cylinders can be seen in this photograph just below the centre.
Their location is just this side of the returns to the stone walls of the kips.
There might still be remains under the ground.

Return to first page.